Applications to support the cost of an artist creating new artwork for exhibition at a dealer gallery or for other commercial purposes should be made directly by the artist. The application must disclose the full extent of the support the artist will receive from the presenting gallery/partner for the proposed project.
Creative New Zealand’s support for the visual arts and craft/object arts is focused on activities or services that complement the activities and services covered by museums, galleries, tertiary institutions, dealer galleries.
Arts Grants can support commercial/dealer galleries for the following activities:
- Documentary, archival projects or the writing and development of high-quality publications focused on the arts in New Zealand
- Opportunities for independent artists’ professional development and artform discourse focused on New Zealand practice via national forums or symposia for example
- Participation at international art fairs
We do not support core business costs including, but not limited to:
- New Zealand-based exhibition costs, including new work costs, installation, hospitality, marketing, travel and freight, etc
- Overheads, including venue, administration, security, health and safety, and staff costs
- Domestic art fairs
- The costs of establishing, operating, maintaining or developing the institution’s website.