Metropolitan and regional galleries and museums, which are core funded by central and local authorities, and galleries operating under the auspices of a tertiary education provider, can apply for the following activities only.
- Residencies for New Zealand artists in galleries and museums
- Curatorial internships for New Zealand curators
- Opportunities for international artists and curators to undertake high-quality projects in New Zealand that have clear benefits for New Zealanders and for visual arts practice in this country
- Writing and publication of high-quality publications associated with New Zealand visual arts
- Large-scale national forums, symposiums, publications and other opportunities for artform discourse focused on New Zealand practice
- Crating and freighting of high-quality New Zealand works for touring exhibitions within New Zealand or overseas.
Funding is not available for the core business costs of a gallery or museum including:
- Exhibition costs
- Commissioning of work that is to be part of a gallery or museum collection
- Administration and staff costs
- Venue hire
- The costs of establishing, operating, maintaining or developing the institution’s website.
Applications to support the cost of creating new artwork for exhibition at public museums and galleries should be made directly by the artist.